Setting Google Analytics on a Shopify store is an obvious and effective action. When you attract first customers, it’s rather natural to want more – to achieve global results.
In order to get great results, it’s worth to analyze each step and process, the insights about your customers, and how they are converting.
Make sure you’re tracking each page of your conversion funnel including your checkout thank you page. The Google Analytics built-in functionality is aimed to help you do it correctly. This post will define what Google Analytics goals are, how these goals work and hoe to add GA tracking on a Shopify Thank You Page.
If you have quite vague ideas about Google Analytics goals, then it’s worth to note that they are used to measure how often users complete specific actions on your site.
We use Google Analytics goals to track how your site measures up against your targets. Actually, a goal is a defined end action achieved by your user on your site. It is called conversion in Google Analytics – all activities for tracking business success.
First, you need to:
- set up a goal with the purchase thank you page
- add it to your campaign report
- take note of which campaigns are performing better at converting your users into customers
Each time a user performs one of your goals, Google Analytics counts it as a conversion. You will not be able to track how you’re doing if you had not defined specific goals.
GA goals are helpful in figuring out whether you need to make improvements to an analytics strategy, providing feedback on how you’re doing, giving critical insights into how your conversion rates.
How do Goals work?
Every view in the Google Analytics account will have its own set of goals that you can choose to keep consistent or different across your account views.
Your goal can be as specific as you want, allowing you to trigger
- how long users spend on the site
- the goal when a user views a specific page
- the number of page views per session
The Goal Value option allows to add an optional monetary value to a goal which you’ll see in your reports
How to set up Thank You Page goals on Shopify?
The following steps will help you:
- Log in into your Google Analytics account. Select Admin and the View where you want to create the goal.
- Select Custom (the suggested templates differ depending on your business industry).
- Name your goal and choose the destination type.
- Enter the goal details. You may use URLs from Shopify’s own recommendation on screen URLs to be used.
- A funnel represents the pages your users take to reach the goal destination. Enable the funnel option and enter the steps leading to the thank you page.
- Save your goal and you that’s it!
The newly created checkout purchase goal can now be used in your reports. The funnel analysis will allow you to see where people are dropping off and what’s the conversion rate from each funnel step.